Thursday, December 9, 2010

Just a Thursday

Well, not just any Thursday.  It’s finals week for Sam and this is his quote of the day.  (Though he doesn’t know it yet.)

“I’ll thank God when all this is over…then maybe my eye will stop twitching.  It’s kind of annoying.”

I am continually amazed at how Sam keeps on going and going, never giving into weariness, and always with a cheerful attitude, in the face of months of sleep deprivation, a shocking amount of work, and too many deadlines to count….where it stops?  Christmas break.  Countdown: 2 days.

So I took Eva on her first field trip today!  I laugh to think that it’s really begun!  The whole field trip thing.  My childhood is full to the brim with strong, happy, vivid memories of Mom taking us on zillions of field trips.  Having experienced the beginnings of what it takes to bring kids on outings myself, and now adding the work of dragging baby paraphernalia everywhere I wish to go, I realize what a true labor of love it was for Mom to give us such rich and wide experiences growing up!  The remembrance still amazes me, and it’s rather daunting now that I’m diving in myself and want Eva’s childhood to be just as full of wonder and stimulation as mine was.  I have big footprints to fill!

My friend Erin was the brains behind our excursion and I refuse to admit how long it took the two of us to haul ourselves and our wee ladies to the Natural Science Museum in downtown Raleigh.

DSC_0591

DSC_0592

Eva was impressed with the fish, giving them a wide-eyed look and the compliment of expressive eyebrows….but then she zoned out and fell asleep for the rest of the walk through.  One step at a time: first make it out of the house, then work on nap-time coordination.

I’d never before experienced a butterfly conservatory….one that even housed it’s very own sloth.DSC_0600

Harper joins Eva in dreamlandDSC_0601

Before we were married, I discovered that Sam likes french manicured nails…on girls. :-)  I haven’t cut Eva’s nails in a few days, as he discovered her natural “frenchies” and wanted pictures which just weren’t happening right away.  A few minutes of Daddy time during a very, very tiny breather from exams:  (apologies for the fuzz)

DSC_0602

She was so sleepy and out of it after a poor nap at the museum!

DSC_0604

DSC_0606

Fingers are the most fascinating thing in her world these days.

DSC_0608

Eva’s little personality is asserting itself more and more each day.  Spunky, sweet, incredibly patient, very opinionated, and all with a heart-melting, fun-loving slimy grin.  “She is my squishy…

Oh, and the “cultcha” continued into this evening.  Eva and I went to a highschool Christmas concert to cheer on one of the girls in my small group.  I was pleasantly surprised….it was very well done.  But full days are no longer just full, they’re exhausting…I think this post makes sense.  But if it doesn’t, you get the idea, and I’m going to join my fat little muffin in dreamland.

2 comments:

Muddy said...

Oh, you made me cry; I love you!

Muddy said...

Sam is an awesome man! Hmmm...I think I hear a song coming :-)